Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs
The Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs has administrative responsibility for all academic programs of the university. The Office has general supervision over all academic units and as such exercises authority over all deans, and directors of academic and quasi-academic centers. These responsibilities include assessment, accreditation, and review of academic programs.
Professor Ederson DT. Tapia, DPA
Vice President for Academic Affairs
Doctor of Public Administration
University of the Philippines, Diliman
International Master in Regional Integration (With Distinction)
Asia-Europe Institute, University of Malaya
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science
University of Santo Tomas
Ederson de los Trino Tapia is a tenured Professor and the Dean of the College of Continuing, Advanced and Professional Studies (CCAPS), University of Makati (UMak) where he also serves as its Vice President for Planning and Research. Previously, he was the Dean of the College of Governance and Public Policy (CGPP) in UMak. Professor Tápia is a Fellow and a faculty member of the Development Academy of the Philippines-Graduate School of Public and Development Management (DAP-GSPDM). He is also a Professorial Lecturer at the University of the Philippines, National College of Public Administration and Governance (UP-NCPAG) where he handles undergraduate and graduate courses.
Professor Tapia completed an International Master in Regional Integration (IMRI) degree from the Asia-Europe Institute, University of Malaya, graduating with distinction (‘Dengan Cemerlang’). He did an internship and special studies at King’s College London. He followed up with a masters in Philippine Studies (External Relations) from the UP Asian Center and completed a Doctor in Public Administration degree from the UP-NCPAG. Professor Tapia was an academic scholar at AEI and a University Scholar at UP. His bachelor’s degree is in Political Science which he earned from the University of Santo Tomas. Professor Tapia attended special courses in local governance at the National Institute for Development Administration in Bangkok and leadership studies at the National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies in Tokyo. He has presented papers and published articles in the areas of Philippine politics and governance, leadership, regional integration, and governance education.
Professor Tapia is a member of the Technical Panel in Public Administration of the Commission on Higher Education representing the academe. He is also the Vice President of the Philippine Society for Public Administration and is a member of the Board of Trustees of the Philippine Councilors League – Legislative Academy. He also sits in the editorial board of various journals in the Asia Pacific region. Professor Tapia’s past and current consultancies include engagements with the government and the private sector. He is also a commissioned reserve officer of the Armed Forces of the Philippines holding the rank of Lieutenant Colonel in the Philippine Army.
The VPAA plans, formulates, executes, decides and recommends all matters that are academic in nature such as relevant curricular programs, faculty development, educational workshops and conferences, extension programs, appeals and other academic issues and concerns.
The VPAA shall perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Formulate long-term strategies and plans for the different colleges including revisions and development of academic programs and policies;
- Preside on such meetings as Academic Advisory Council (AAC), Council of Deans, and Personnel Selection Board (PSB) for matters pertaining to academic affairs;
- Endorse to the Executive Committee matters academic in nature, such as but not limited to: a. proposals for the creation of graduate and undergraduate
- colleges, institutes and centers; b. designations of college deans, executive directors, directors, college secretaries and department heads; c. attendance of faculty members in seminars, conferences and in-service training; d. application for sabbatical leave and other forms of leave of the faculty that requires EXCOM approval:
- Propose annual budget for the office and all academic units under his office taking into consideration the plans and programs for the year;
- Forge strategic linkages with institutions for the development of responsive and relevant curricular programs, research projects, and extension programs;
- Review and approve teaching programs and loads of faculty members;
- Present action plans, statistical information on students, accomplishment reports and other academic programs to the city government;
- Perform representation function in programs, projects, and activities of the academic department;
- Perform other functions delegated by higher authorities.
Contact and Information
Vice President for Academic Affairs
Direct Line: 8882-0683